Saturday, December 18, 2010

Abandoned by emotion and instinct

Yesterday I did something dumb. I didn't set out to perform this task. Before it happened, my work-to-home commute was going swimmingly. I got a haircut. I picked up some things at Target. I filled up the air in my tires and got gas. After that I followed my usual path home. There's an access road near what we call in Atlanta Spaghetti Junction. It's where two interstates meet and it's always horrible with the traffic. If I get on the access road I can slide through to the end of the junction and it saves me a lot of time.

Saving time wasn't enough. I wanted more. There's an intersection at Buford Highway, home to an amazing assortment of ethnic restaurants. The center lane goes through to the interstate. The right lane goes right and the left lane goes left. I noticed that if I got into the left lane, I could merge with the people on the right. Sometimes I merged early, other times I merged as we were crossing the intersection. This maneuver didn't always earn me friends from the people who did things the correct way and stayed in the middle lane.

Yesterday I had the cat-bird position. I was at the front of the line in the left. It was an easy path. I would time the light and hit the accelerator the second the light turned green and get in front of the car to my right. I had done this a few dozen times without incident. As the light turned, I noticed at the intersection a police car. It was for the City of Doraville. This is when my instincts and emotions betrayed me. I should have been able to audible and turn left, which would force me to make a few time-wasting left turns. Instead I powered through. I think the blue lights came on immediately.

Over the past few months I've saved a lot of time by using the left lane. I didn't know that someday there would be a cost.

That was your Zachrilege dumbass moment of the week. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment