Monday, March 21, 2011

On top of the world

Standing on the second from the top step, I lean forward. I see my goal with clarity, but my stomach is churning. I'm not sure that I can complete the task, and even if I do, returning to earth isn't going to be a simple task. Once I go up, I'm committed. For the past month I've considered making the climb but I have failed to do so. It's now or never. I step up to the top level, push my left leg up, give one more thrust and I'm there.

I'm on the roof.

Home ownership comes with small bonuses. We have a mutant Camilla tree near the carport that has dark pink buds on one side and white on the other. The trees and bushes in the yard bloom at regular intervals, like a well timed fireworks display. Over the past few weeks I've filled about 50 yard bags with leaves. Getting to the soil is one thing. Tending to it is another.

I thought the tall ladder would enable me to pull most of the leaves and muck out of the gutters. The front and back weren't too difficult, but once the roof goes up with the second floor, the gutters are at least 20 feet off the ground. I'd have to climb.

I put on some long pants, an astute move since the shingles have the consistency of sandpaper, and after standing still for a good five minutes finally climbed to the top. I had to push my left leg up and lie down almost perpendicular to my right leg to get the rest of the way up. As soon as I got up, I thought about why I was doing such a foolish thing. A fall of any kind would be devastating, especially when I got to the highest point. I could hire people to do the job while I sat inside and watched basketball. Nope. I was up and determined to continue.

Most off my movement involved me sliding around on my butt. I climbed over to the back and removed some brush from the roof. Once I climbed to the top point I stood up and the wife photographed me. I didn't want this to be the last set of photographs before the ones of me in a body cast.

I soon found a nice rhythm. I would slide down to the gutter with my legs behind me and my left arm holding a sandpapery shingle for support. I'd pull out the leaves on top and the muck below. I would slide over a few inches and repeat. After a few dozen turns I took a break. Leaves and gunk were thrown down, and when they hit the roof of the screened-in porch in the back our skittish yard kitty Patches ran away in terror.

It was nice to be on top of the world and see that our roof was in much better shape than any of our neighbors. Sunday was the right day for this because Saturday was almost hot and the cooler temperatures in the 60s meant that I didn't overheat.
After about an hour of effort I had my biggest challenge. I had to get down. From my prone position I couldn't see the ladder. I finally got my feet on the top step. That was the issue. I was unable to see my target and I would have to somehow turn around once I got on the ladder. The solution was having my wife push the ladder out so I had better balance. I finally got my feet set, turned around and took the stairs to ground, wonderful ground.

Naturally, as I type this I remember that I didn't clean the gutters on the far side of the car port. It's going to be a while until my fool self tries to get on the roof again.

No comments:

Post a Comment