Saturday, May 14, 2011

As it turns out, the end times are kind of boring

I am endlessly fascinated by how people think. Of late this has been focused on spiritual matters. I didn't care what people believe as much as why. I assume this is why the news of Harold Camping's prediction of the apocalypse has so enthralled me.

Predicting the apocalypse has been a pastime as long as there have been people around to record history. There is fear and trepidation about our world coming to an end. In Harold Camping's quite public prediction, there is a distinct lack of fear or trepidation.

He believes that this is going to happen. If you want, listen to his recent interview with reapsowradio. I appreciated that the hosts of the show, instead of mocking or questioning Camping, only asked him questions about his beliefs as if they have real value and worth.

That's the whole point. There's nothing to this guy's assertions. The reason why you listen to extreme religious people is because you hope to hear a spark of an idea that gives you an insight into this kind of mindset. Writing about Camping's beliefs makes me want to yawn. Telling me that there's a being who will judge us all in a week's time really makes me want to spend more time researching for my fantasy football draft. In August.

Because the bottom line is it's not that interesting or compelling to me. I want it to be. And before I get any comments that I'm disrespecting the man or his beliefs or anyone's beliefs who might be similar, let me say one thing. I don't know either. I am not confident in my beliefs. I am confident that this man is wrong. He has the intellectual curiosity of a house cat. That's the kind of person I would not even want to share lunch with.

Could this be a function of today's society that feels we must listen to everyone's opinion? I'm fine that there are people like Camping and Donald Trump who are so completely sure of themselves. That doesn't mean that they are less full of crap. The only reason Trump's gotten so much press lately is that it creates controversy. It's controversy on a subject that's been put to rest a long time ago. But we can't let it go because on the miniscule chance that Trump was telling the truth, it would be a huge story. It will be a huge story if the first earthquake starts at 6 p.m. next Saturday as Harold Camping predicts.

We all know it's not going to happen. The tragedy is we'll forget about Camping before he has a chance to explain why his prediction didn't come to fruition. And while this morning I wanted to be one of the countless people celebrating his mistaken beliefs on May 22, part of me wants Camping to pass peacefully in his sleep the night before. It sounds horrible to contemplate, but honestly, if he's as earnest as he seems, the devastation of a life's work that turns up empty would be too much for him to bear.

That's me projecting, based on how I would feel. More likely is that he'll spin it to his benefit, and the next apocalypse will be precisely scheduled for 2028. What disturbs me the most is that there are people who seem to look forward to the so-called End Times. In short, those people really don't value this life as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment