Friday, December 18, 2009

The continuing story of Zach meets house

Here’s the last 18 hours or so of the house hunt, condensed into a few hundred words.
Yesterday, the selling agent brought in a plumber to double-check our estimate. The plumber came back with an estimate of more than $10,000. Because of this, it’s almost certain that there will be no septic to sewer transformation. Fine. Our current offer asked the seller to pay for all septic to sewer costs. Since there would be no costs, the seller could just sign our offer and we’d be done with it.
The deadline was 10 p.m. last night. At 9:30 we called our agent. There had been no word. At 10:15 we got the call. The counter came in. The seller took our septic to sewer amount and changed it to zero. I felt like it was a bit of an eff you, since technically the number would be zero no matter what. Hey, the seller is a lawyer, and you have to accept such things.

Late last night I received the offer via e-mail. My goal would be to print out the pages I needed to sign, sign them, scan the pages and e-mail them back. I printed. I signed. I scanned. The printer kept giving me a carriage jam error that meant nothing to me. I handed the papers to Alison. “You put down the wrong date,” she said. Really? Ugh. We gave up and called it a night.

Scanning, signing, and printing continued in the morning. I re-printed the offending page, initialed and signed the date, double-checking it. I gave it to Alison. After shutting down the computer and printer and getting my stuff ready for work, she said that I had to sign another page. Sigh. It was 8:15 in the morning and for the third day this week, we were having a nice cold downpour in Atlanta. Traffic would be a bear unless everyone had already given up for the year. I turned on the computer, opened my e-mail, printed the page, signed the page, scanned the page and e-mailed the page to Alison. I was done. To be more accurate, I was done for the morning. This afternoon we meet with the “money man”, who will look over my financials like Tiger’s wife has been looking over his cell phone records. Tomorrow is the inspection. Bring it, house.

No comments:

Post a Comment