Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fast as a slow comet




Having a hobby is an expensive prospect these days. I have a friend who owns a bike. He can't just have a bike, though. He has the bike, a bike shirt, bike shorts (hopefully worn under other shorts), shoes, gloves, a helmet, and a rack for his car. I'm not ready emotionally or financially for such an investment. I'm good with my shoes for running. Today I joined him on Georgia's Silver Comet trail today.

We didn't do enough research, apparently. For those who are out of the state, yeah, Georgia's kind of shut down on Sunday morning. The bike rental shop didn't open until 10:30 and we got there at 9:30. It was a 30-minute drive to get there so we waited. The folks started putting their bikes on the pavement outside but would not serve me until 10:30. I had a choice between a "speed" bike and a "comfort" bike. The speed bike had a seat that was a molded plastic monstrosity that would have destroyed my personal seat. I took the comfort. Mr. Funk suggested a 20-mile ride. No problem. I started quickly but it didn't take long for me to realize that there are muscles used in bike riding that I don't usually use. My thighs were killing me. When we got within a mile of our turnaround point I felt saved. I had miscalculated and we were two miles short.

A rest gave me enough energy to continue. Don gave me one of those gel packs that tastes horrible but is supposed to give you energy. Does that mean tons of caffiene? On the way back we passed more than passed us, which was nice. Only one spandex-clad guy gave us guff for taking too much room. Bike shirts are weird. They're like football jerseys but of anything you like. Don had an AC/DC "For Those about to Rock" yellow shirt. I saw one Cat in the Hat and a Froot Loops selection. Lovely. My generic $10 white wicky shirt from Target will do for now.

We finished in less than two hours. Our time was pretty good for 21 miles until I realized that world-class marathoners run faster than we biked. We may do it again soon, but on a Saturday this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment